Hays County Issues COVID-19 Order Requiring Face Coverings
Hays County residents ages 10 and older will be required to wear a “face-covering over their nose and mouth when in a public place” where it’s difficult to social distance. The executive order was issued by Hays County Judge, Ruben Becerra this afternoon. The order goes into effect on Monday, June 22, and lasts until July 20.
Face coverings do not need to be worn in the following circumstances:
- When engaging in physical activity outside
- While driving alone or with passengers from the same household
- When wearing a mask poses greater safety, health or security risks than not
- While pumping gas or operating outdoor equipment
- While in a building that requires security surveillance or screening
- When consuming food or drinks
Upon making the announcement during a press conference, Becerra noted that this pandemic is “far from over” and it’s better to “be safe than sorry.” He also pointed out that Hays County will report 210 new COVID-19 cases today, a new record high.